Tuesday, November 15, 2016

XEROX:



I pieced this project together to mirror my ‘millennial’ generation. These items are a mix-use space containing items I carry with myself- everyday. Either wearing them or having them in my cross-body bag, these items make who I am. The “graduation cap” signifies that I have graduated- undergrad. Millennials have the highest rate of college grads than any other recorded generation. Millennials are on track to become the most educated generation in Western history. 34 percent of 25 to 29 year-olds Americans held a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, professional degree or doctoral degree last year, a higher share than in any year in data going back to 1968. The “Macbook with my face” signifies how tech savvy I am online with my friends and the world. We are the first generation to grow up constantly connected to the world via technology. We have become addicted to technology like no other generation. The neck has my “Bose headphone pouch” to show how connected I am with my friends and the world. We are the only generation to adult and consistently be connected to everyone- all the time. Pew Research Center has named us “Digital natives in a land of digital immigrants.” My torso/chest/abdominal areas are “iPhones” to represent how mobile- first I am with my communications, interactions, commerce, etc. Millennials spend on average between 4-5 hours on our cellphones between the times of 9AM-9PM. The waist line is “credit cards” to represent the student loan debt I accrued studying abroad. The millennial generation alone has the highest student loan debt than anywhere else in the world. Our generation has accrued so much student loan debt from the government that analysts predict the next bubble to burst is student loans like the housing economy burst in 2008. The legs are “lipstick” chargers to show I am always “on the go” and never have to time to mentally re-charge. Our generation are the true entrepreneurial ones. Millennials are startup children. We were raised eating entrepreneurship for breakfast- watching Steve Jobs head the renowned Apple & Mark Zuckerberg invent a social media trauma with many other young innovators/inventors disrupting traditional industries. We Millennials have constructed new businesses out of the trash of our 2008 recession- changing the career expectations for a whole generation. The “lightbulbs” are my feet to represent how creative I am and how progressive I am in everything I do at work. We (millennials) don’t just accept the status quo. We think on our own despite the system we’re operating around. We constantly question the messages society puts through the mass media.

No comments:

Post a Comment